Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Installing SharePoint Foundation on Windows 7 X64

I just installed Sharepoint Foundation in Windows 7 X64. I had to follow this article (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee554869.aspx) very closely to get it to work. Specially when it comes to installing the hot fixes, one MUST do it. For example I have SQL Server 2008 R2 and I thought the SQL server hot fixes would not apply to my case. Wrong!.

Also, for some reason the installation of the Windows Identity Foundation went wrong the first time I did it without me knowing about it and the wizard did not run. So, I uninstalled the whole thing (Sharepoint Foundation installation), then I installed all the hot fixes for it and installed Sharepoint again.

The setup run with no errors and the configuration wizard run with no errors, so in my eyes it worked, but my site was blank. I went to the IIS and under Authentication for Sharepoint Central Administration and the Sharepoint sites, I changed the Basic Authentication from Disabled to Enabled.

However, this didn't not fix the problem. In fact, I would have to enter credentials, so I assumed that it would be ok to enter my domain credentials (windows 7 credentials).

This created yet another error related to the IIS worker process crashing. I went to the event viewer and I saw this:

Faulting application name: w3wp.exe, version: 7.5.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bd0eb
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bdfe0
Exception code: 0xe0434f4d
Fault offset: 0x000000000000aa7d
Faulting process id: 0×1634
Faulting application start time: 0x01cbb754642bc4c9
Faulting application path: c:\windows\system32\inetsrv\w3wp.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: a308a667-2347-11e0-ba6c-002318baaa4f


I researched the error and nothing helped me solved the problem. Then, I light of wisdom came into my mind, Application Pools!

So I went to IIS and to the application pools for the SP central admin and the sharepoint site and I changed the identity from NetworkService to LocalService.

I did reset IIS, entered my credentials and wuala!

1 comment:

  1. This blog was preety helpful when installing the Sharepoint

    http://sharepointcoding.wordpress.com/2009/11/23/how-to-install-sharepoint-2010-standalone-on-windows-7/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughts. Your comment will appear in my blog shortly after review.

Have a great day!